In a pinch and need a quick, simple dessert for your 4th of July BBQ? Try our take on a tradition Eton Mess and make it all ‘Murican!
Fresh cream and fruit with the crunch of the meringues make this dish a real winner. No need to suffer in a hot kitchen, this dessert is no bake and made for last minute preparation.
Red, White, and Blue Mess
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (or zest)
- 2 cups meringues (crushed)**
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
**No need to make your own meringues, just buy them from Trader Joe’s (or whatever store you have near you!)
In a medium bowl, begin to whip your heavy cream. As it starts to thicken add, the sugar and both extracts. If you’re using a stabilizer, add that before you add the sugars and extract.
* If you’re not going to serve right away, place the cream in the fridge until you’re ready to use.
Right before you’re ready to serve, mix in the berries and crushed meringues. Stir until combined and enjoy.